Saturday 3 November 2012

Tractor Time

A couple of days ago I pulled out of our drive and set off towards Helsby straight down Primrose Lane. Immediately ahead of me my path was blocked by a lumbering tractor. Now many of you will know this stretch of road intimately, having navigated it successfully countless times. You will know just how inadvisable it is to attempt any sort of overtaking manoeuvre at this point. So I tucked in to chug along in the slipstream of the old workhorse and began my slow descent. I found that I had plenty of time to look around the autumn landscape. Really look around for a change. I hadn’t appreciated just how much of the Liverpool skyline is visible in the view across the Mersey; how much of the Rock you can actually see across the Walnut Tree Farm fields; how you can see details on the frontage of houses in Hapsford; the extent to which the splayed fingers of the dead tree just above the disused railway cutting are covered in ivy mittens; just how vivid a variety of leaf colours is represented in this year’s palette. A normal minute’s flash drive turned into a leisurely scenic tour of our soothing countryside. There are times for the motorist when a wide, slow-moving piece of agricultural kit or a procession of cows up ahead can be stressful – an extra impediment in our obstacle strewn day – the straw that makes the camel late for its appointment with a needle and all the other muddled thinking and decision-making that can take place behind the wheel of a powerful car in a narrow lane. On this particular occasion, I was very glad of the unexpected opportunity to take the slow road and to think clearly and calmly for a moment. Thanks Geoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment